I just found out that Sheilah Beckett- an amazing illustrator who has managed to stay active for the better part of the last century- just passed away this November at the admirable age of 100.
I only discovered her work earlier this year, but I fell in love with it almost immediately- it’s sexy, it’s stylish, and it has an aesthetic sensibility that manages to be timeless and relevant even by modern standards. I see so much of what I want to be in her work- her flawless lineart, her stylization of form and shape, her impeccable eye for lavish historical costumes. It’s crazy good.
We owe so much to the pioneering female illustrators who came before us- if you haven’t seen her work before, try to take a moment out of your day to look her up, like her facebook page, revel in her raw talent, then get out there and make some art! We’re part of a noble and damn proud tradition, and we owe her that much. :)
Welcome to Tumblr.
Holy shit this is the most accurate post I have ever seen in my life
wait…this is a completely different gif set on my blog…
Reblog this and then check it on your Tumblr. Go on, do it.
What? How? O_OIT KNOWS WHAT FANDOMS YOUR IN
holy shit I’m trying this
Tips for self defense in places where you can’t use the likes of pepper spray etc (it’s also legal).
- Use a house key or a car key
- If you have key rings on the keys, simply keep these in the palm of your hand and hold tight.
- Place the key between your ring finger and your middle finger - do not place it between your index and middle finger as it’s a weaker hold.
- If you want to be discreet, keep this position in your coat pocket or somewhere where you can keep the keys hidden. If you don’t have a pocket, try keeping hold of the keys in your hand but within your sleeve - as if they were too big for you.
- If you feel in danger or someone goes to attack you, try to jab your attacker in the places circled in red. These are weak spots and will give off a feeling of being stabbed, however there will be no wound - it’ll just stun your attacker and bide you enough time to run.
- Try to aim for the lower areas such as the stomach and sides, these are weaker spots, however the middle of the chest and neck help too. This is the same for women.
I am just sitting on my bed shrieking in delight ARE YOU GUYS SEEING THIS
I want this in my life.
EXCUSE ME I KNOW THIS IS NOT RECIPES BUT DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW MINDBLOWINGLY AMAZING THIS IS????!?!?
FUCKING TAKE MY MONEY YOU BRILLIANT INDIVIDUALS!
- John: (at his computer) Hmm . . . odd. Interesting but . . . odd.
- Sherlock: (reading a case file and not really that interested) What?
- John: People write stories about us.
- Sherlock: Mmmhm. I can imagine.
- John: No, not articles. Fiction. One of my blog followers sent me a link. There's a website that people go to and write stories.
- Sherlock: Mmm.
- John: It's called fanfiction. Most of it's . . . well, never mind, but I found an entire series dedicated to an AU.
- Sherlock: Hmm?
- John: Alternate Universe. They rewrite our lives as if we exist in a different . . . I dunno, set of circumstances?
- Sherlock: Mmm.
- John: So, in this one, I'm apparently a Chinese-American woman named Joan.
- Sherlock: (finally looks up, befuddled) What?
- John: (flattered) She's described as beautiful. I don't think I've ever been called beautiful before.
- Sherlock: And what am I?
- John: Still you, more or less, I suppose. Tattoos--
- Sherlock: Tattoos?
- John: A penchant for prostitutes--
- Sherlock: Wha--
- John: And you were helplessly in love with Irene--
- Sherlock: I wouldn't define it as 'helplessly' --
- John: --who turned out to be Moriarty.
- Sherlock: (blinks)
- John: And bees.
- Sherlock: Bees?
- John: Yes. You love bees.
- Sherlock: And you describe this representation as "still me, more or less?"
- John: . . . It's very convincing writing.
- Sherlock: (going back to his case file) Perhaps we should go and get you a dress, then?
- John: DO NOT CRITICIZE JOAN WATSON!
this is my friend. she could really use your help.
> > donate to jen’s fund < <
seeing my friend in this state does not feel real. i never thought something like this would happen to someone i know, let alone to my closest friend. looking at this picture is really painful for me, but her and her family’s wellbeing may depend on the kindness of friends and possibly strangers like you, so getting her story out there is really crucial. even if you don’t have money to give, if you you wouldn’t mind sharing this, maybe one of your followers will donate. that could really add up! i’ve seen other success stories on tumblr. please, please help me make my friend a success story. this is so real to me.
my friend, jenevieve kim, was hit by a car while biking home on georgia tech campus. the police report states that the accident was in a 25 mph zone and witnesses claimed she flew thirty feet from the car, yet the driver refuses to take responsibility (says it’s “her fault”) and is paying nothing. she can’t weigh in on this, of course, because she remembers nothing of the accident, which is understandable considering she has a cracked skull, internal head bleeding, a broken leg, ribs, and a cracked hip among other expensive injuries. the cost for keeping her alive is estimated to be over $15,000.
i’m so grateful she’s survived, but she’s still in pretty awful shape. plus, she doesn’t have insurance. and her family is struggling as it is and won’t be able to help her. (she was previously helping them financially. btw, she’s 20.) jen is the hardest worker i know, a selfless friend, and was previously paying her own way through college. she was forced to quit her music business internship (her dream job) next semester because of this and won’t be able to attend school at all for a long time.
my friend is on her own with all of this. but i decided it doesn’t have to be that way. life itself isn’t fair by any means (see above. did i mention this happened the week after her birthday? like holy shit), but regardless there are still good people in this world. as a community, we can do everything we can to even the score. please help me take this off my friend’s plate so she can heal.
if you could consider sharing this with your followers or friends, jen’s loved ones and supporters will be forever grateful. every person who shares this will be personally thanked. i don’t care if this reaches a thousand notes (which i doubt), every kind stranger who supports my friend in any way deserves a personal thank you.
also, every single person who donates will receive a handmade gift. i don’t care if you’re all the way in korea. you will receive a handmade token of appreciation. there’s been 99 donators thus far; i (and a few of our friends) already started making a few things. they’ll be really cool, promise!
if you have any fundraising suggestions, words of encouragement, or would like to help in any way please feel free to contact me. thank you sincerely for taking the time to read jen’s story, and thank you to my followers, who will no doubt hear about this story for quite some time, for being so patient. i realize i was almost exclusively a k/j-horror blog previously, which makes this a bit more surreal for me.
thanks! please signal boost!